Frequently Asked Questions

[su_accordion][su_spoiler title=”What is selective translation?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]The selective translation is a short translation, including only relevant information in accordance with immigration requirements. This reduces the cost of the translation without compromising the document content.[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title=”How to get an authenticated copy in New Zealand?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””] If you need an authenticated copy of a document, but you don’t have the original document in hands, follow the steps above. Remember, we need only the digital copy to do the translation work.

  1. Ask someone you trust to send you a digital copy of the document you need through email.
  2. With your passport/ID card and the email in hands, go to a Justice of the Peace desk and show them your digital copy printed (the one attached to the email) and the passport.

If you need further help with this kind of matter, get in touch and we’ll be glad to help.


[su_spoiler title=”What can be used as evidence of work experience?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

When asked for evidence of your work experience for any application with Immigration New Zealand, you may include any documents that show the following.

  • The work that you did
  • The dates you did the work
  • How many hours a week you worked (on average)
  • The location(s) where you did the work
  • The contact details for your employer or employers
  • How your work experience relates to the work you’ve been offered in New Zealand (if applicable)

These documents should be on an official company letterhead and signed by an authorized person.

In addition, letters of appointment/offer, tax records/statements, payslips and letters of long service may also be provided.

Find out more here.

Source: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/knowledgebase/kb-question/kb-question-23799


[su_spoiler title=”De facto relationship certificate” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

Immigration New Zealand defines partnership as two people of the opposite or same sex, who live together in a genuine and stable relationship in any of the following:

When you apply for a visa based on your partnership with a New Zealand visa holder or New Zealand citizen, we call that person your supporting partner.

You and your supporting partner must:

  • be aged 18 or over, or if they’re aged 16 or 17 years, have the consent of their parents or guardians
  • have met each other before applying for a visa based on your partnership
  • not be close relatives.

 Partnership requirements

You must be able to show us that you’re living together in a genuine and stable relationship before we can grant you a visa based on your partnership.

Living together means sharing the same home as your partner, which doesn’t include:

  • spending time in each other’s homes while you each maintain your own home 
  • sharing accommodation while on holiday
  • flatmate arrangements.

Assessing partnership

When we assess if you meet our partnership requirements, we’ll look at things like:

  • how long you’ve been together
  • how long you’ve been living together as a couple
  • your living arrangements
  • whether you support each other financially
  • how you share financial responsibilities
  • how committed you are to a life together
  • whether you own property together and/or share your property
  • any children you have together, including your arrangements for their care
  • whether you share common household tasks
  • whether other people recognize your relationship.

 Evidence of partnership

You and your partner must provide enough evidence to show us that you’re living together in a genuine and stable relationship.

Your evidence will be more credible if it’s from official sources. For example, a joint tenancy agreement showing the date that you and your partner started renting a property together is better than your friend writing us a letter to tell us how long you’ve been living together.

You don’t have to provide all of the documents listed as examples, but the more evidence you provide, the easier it will be for us to make a decision about your application.


Evidence to show us you’re in a genuine and stable relationship can include:

  • marriage or civil union certificates
  • birth certificates for any children you share
  • cards, letters, emails, and social media conversations 
  • photos together
  • evidence that others recognize your relationship
  • evidence you make decisions and plans together
  • evidence you parent together
  • evidence you spend leisure time together
  • a joint rental agreement or home loan
  • mail addressed to you together at the same place and time
  • joint bank accounts
  • evidence you own assets together
  • joint credit cards or hire purchase agreements
  • joint utilities accounts, like power or phone bills.

Time spent living apart

If you and your partner have spent time living apart, you should provide information about your separation, including:

  • the reasons you were living apart
  • how long you were living apart
  • how you kept in touch while apart.

We’ll use any evidence you provide about your separation to assess its effect on your partnership.

Find out more here.


[su_spoiler title=”Funds or Sponsorship for visitor visa” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

You must have at least NZ $1,000 per month, or NZ $400 per month if you’ve already paid for your accommodation.

Evidence can include:

  • proof of accommodation pre-payment, like hotel pre-paid vouchers or receipts
  • bank statements
  • credit card statements
  • bank drafts
  • travellers’ cheques
  • a ‘Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry’ completed by an acceptable sponsor.

If you are sponsored, your sponsor must provide evidence they can look after you in New Zealand. Evidence can include:

  • recent bank statements
  • payslips
  • employment agreement
  • accommodation ownership or payment of rent.

Find out more here.


[su_spoiler title=”Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]


You must provide proof of your identity


You must be of good character

If you are 17 or over, you must provide a police certificate from:

  • your country of citizenship
  • any other country where you have spent 12 months or more over the last 10 years, even if you did not spend that 12 months all in one visit.


You must be in good health

You must have a chest x-ray and a medical examination as proof of your good health.

Skilled employment

Your current employment or offer of employment must be skilled

If invited to apply for residence, you must provide evidence of your skilled employment, including having the necessary:

  • work experience
  • qualifications
  • occupational registration.


Your qualification must be recognized to qualify for points.

If you claim points for your qualification, you must show it is a recognized qualification. A qualification can be recognized if:

  • It is on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment; or
  • It has been assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA); or
  • It has been assessed by a New Zealand registration authority at the same level as a qualification on the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment as part of an application for New Zealand occupational registration; or
  • It is a Washington Accord or Sydney Accord accredited undergraduate degree.

English language

You must be able to speak English

You will need to provide one of these with your application:

  • An acceptable English language test result.
  • Evidence you’re a citizen of Canada, Ireland, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA), and you have spent at least five years working or studying in those countries, or in Australia or New Zealand.
  • Evidence you have a recognized qualification that’s comparable to a New Zealand level 7 bachelor’s degree, which you gained in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK or the USA. You must have also studied for at least two years in any of those countries to get that qualification.
  • Evidence you have a recognized qualification that’s comparable to a postgraduate New Zealand qualification, which you gained in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK or the USA. You must have also studied for at least one year in any of those countries to get that qualification. 


English language test results must be no more than 2 years old.

Regardless of the other evidence you provide, if you don’t provide an acceptable English language test result, we may ask for one as evidence you meet the English language requirements.

Invitation to apply for residence

You must be invited to apply for residence

If invited to apply for residence, you must apply within 4 months of receiving your invitation.

Your invitation to apply will advise of the specific evidence you need to provide to support the claims you made in your EOI, which may include:

  • an employment agreement
  • a job description
  • your full or provisional occupational registration, if New Zealand law requires you to have it to do your job
  • original or certified copies of your qualifications and your course transcripts
  • a report from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) confirming any qualification that isn’t on our list of recognised or exempt qualifications
  • references, payslips, tax records or contracts that confirm your work experience
  • birth certificates for any close family who live in New Zealand that show you are related
  • proof that any close family you have claimed points for live in New Zealand.

If you’re unable to provide evidence to support the claims you made in your EOI, we may not be able to grant you a visa.

Bring family

Your partner and dependent children must meet the requirements for this visa

For your family to be included in a residence application, you must have included them in your Expression of Interest.

If invited to apply, you must provide evidence:

  • of your relationship with your partner and dependent children
  • that your partner and dependent children meet the identity, character, health, and English language requirements for this visa.

Find out more: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/visa-factsheet/skilled-migrant-category-resident-visa#overview


[su_spoiler title=”Which English tests are accepted in New Zealand?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

The following English language test results are acceptable for applicants under the Skilled Migrant Category.

Test results must be no more than 2 years old at the time your application is lodged.

Principal applicant

Test Minimum score required
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – General or Academic Module Overall score of 6.5 or more
Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) Overall score of 79 or more  
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) Overall score of 58 or more
Cambridge English B2 First (FCE)


B2 First for Schools (FCE for Schools)
Overall score of 176 or more
Occupational English Test (OET) Grade B or higher in all four skills (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking)*

* A score of Grade B or higher in all four skills is required for the OET as there is no overall grade for this test.

Partners and dependent children aged 16 and older

Test Minimum score required
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – General or Academic Module Overall score of 5.0 or more
Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) Overall score of 35 or more
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) Overall score of 36 or more
Cambridge English B2 First (FCE)


B2 First for Schools (FCE for Schools)
Overall score of 154 or more
Occupational English Test (OET) Grade C or higher in all four skills (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking)*

* A score of Grade C or higher in all four skills is required for the OET as there is no overall grade for this test.

Find out more here


[su_spoiler title=”NZQA – What documents are required for an International Qualification Assessment?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

You need to provide a variety of documents in support of your IQA. You will find information on these documents below. Read all instructions carefully to ensure that you upload the correct versions of your documents to your application. All your documents will need to be in the original colour and uploaded electronically; we do not accept hard copy documents. Your application is not complete until you have uploaded the required documents and received confirmation of payment. Please read the guidelines below on the requirements of scanned copies.

If we require additional information, or if you have not submitted the correct documentation after evaluation of your qualification has begun, your file will be put on hold. Evaluation cannot progress until the necessary information is received, so the ‘clock stops’ – in other words, the number of working days in which NZQA has committed to completing your application will stop counting down until we receive that information. 

NZQA takes qualification fraud seriously and may contact any relevant third-party organization to verify the information provided by you in your application. If we find falsified information we will provide that information to the relevant enforcement agencies, including Immigration New Zealand.

Read below for more information about the required format for your application materials.

Description of required documents

Third-party authorization form: This form requires your signature. It states that the information you have provided is true and accurate, and that you give NZQA permission to contact third parties for further information when needed. It also authorizes an agent to act on your behalf. This form must be uploaded as part of your application. The declaration form is available for download from this page, and also within the application itself.

Download the authorization form (PDF, 165KB)

Award certificate: This is a document issued by your awarding body. You might receive this at a graduation ceremony following the completion of your course.

Transcript/academic record/mark sheet: This document should contain a full academic record for all years of study, and include the titles and results of classes/modules/papers you completed.

If you completed a full semester or more with a different education provider and details of this are not included on your transcript, Qualifications Recognition Services (QRS) may need to seek further information from you.

If you are applying under a skill shortage list, it is helpful to submit a detailed syllabus (in addition to the transcript) that explains the coursework from your program of study. If you do not provide this with your application, and the information is required, your Evaluator may need to request this from you or from a third party during the evaluation process.

If you are applying for teacher registration purposes and the transcript you have submitted for your overseas teaching program does not clearly describe its content including both its academic and practice-based components, NZQA will not be able to provide an outcome on its comparability to a New Zealand teaching qualification. In such cases, we advise that you attach either a published syllabus, or a letter from the awarding institution stating the specifics of your program.

In cases where you cannot provide a transcript (e.g., your awarding body did not offer them at the time), you must supply a syllabus from the time of your study for your qualification to be assessed for these purposes.

Passport bio-data page: This is the section of your passport that shows your photograph, name, date of birth, and nationality. 

Evidence of name change: If your current legal name (the name that is listed on your passport) is different from the name listed on your award certificate/s, you must provide evidence of your name change. This could be a marriage certificate or deed poll.

Evidence of apprenticeship or trade experience: If you completed a formal apprenticeship, send QRS the contract of apprenticeship. This would have been issued to you by your employer, and will include the dates you started and completed the apprenticeship.

QRS cannot assess stand-alone work experience and/or competency-based certificates. Depending on the pathway of the trade qualification, NZQA may not be the appropriate body to assess your skill set, abilities, and/or competency in a specific area of trade.

Evidence of underpinning qualifications: If you nominate a qualification for assessment that is at a higher level than a bachelor’s degree but not the qualifications that underpin it, we need to see the educational pathway that allowed entry to that higher-level program. For example, if you wish to have a master’s degree evaluated, but not your bachelor’s degree, we need information about the bachelor’s degree. You can do this by uploading scanned copies of that qualification certificate as part of your online application.

English translations: If your qualification documents were not issued in English, NZQA requires an English translation by a recognized official translation service for each document.

Check our translation fees here or get in touch with our team.

Skill shortage list form: If your purpose is immigration, and you are applying under a Skill Shortage List (e.g., the Long Term Skill Shortage List or Immediate Skill Shortage List), download and complete this form and upload it within the online application. If you do not include this form in your application we will not assess your qualification against a skill shortage list.

Download the Skill Shortage List Form (PDF, 146KB)

Scanned copies

IMPORTANT: NZQA requires legible, coloured, scanned digital copies of accompanying documents. These documents must be uploaded to our online application form. If your original document is in colour, then you must upload a colour copy. We do not accept black and white copies of colour originals. If you submit a black and white copy of a colour original, it will delay the processing time as we will need to contact you to provide us with colour copies.

Please also note that the documents do not need to be certified – as long as we receive identical colour copies of the original, we can accept these.

Your documents must be scanned as PDF files. Where information is also recorded on the back of documents (e.g., stamps and seals on award certificates, or instructions for reading transcripts), include scans of the backs of these documents.

Save each relevant document as a separate file, creating a new file for each document type. Documents with multiple pages must be saved as one file. For example, transcripts should be saved as one file, the award certificate as a separate file, etc.

Our system will accept up to 5MB per document, so please use appropriate scan quality to ensure the legibility of the document (we do not require high-resolution images). 

NZQA reserves the right to require additional proof of authenticity for any documents submitted. Additionally, NZQA can request documents be resubmitted if the content is unclear or ambiguous. We may also request verification of your qualifications. 

You will be prompted to upload the required documents as part of the online application process.

Find out more here.

Do you still have questions?
For a free 15 minute chat with our team, go to our Facebook page, select NZQA and book your slot.


[su_spoiler title=”What are the needed documents to hire someone from overseas?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””]

If you have a low-skilled vacancy, you need a Skills Match Report (SMR) before you can hire a migrant. We can only issue this if you’ve advertised your vacancy with us and haven’t found a suitable New Zealander.

We have lots of great candidates and can help with training if they don’t quite have the required skills for the job.

Find the skill level of the job

Low-skilled jobs are listed as level 4 or 5 on the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).

To find the skill level of the job you’re advertising:

Step 1 – Advertise with us

You need to list your vacancy with us

You may not need to advertise with us if you’re hiring in either:

Work visas

If the person has a work visa, it depends on what type of visa they have as to whether or not you need to advertise with us. If you’re unsure, check with Immigration New Zealand

Step 2 – Find a suitable candidate

You need to demonstrate a genuine attempt to find a suitable New Zealand candidate for your vacancy.

So we can tailor a recruitment plan to meet your needs, we’ll contact you to discuss your vacancy. This is so we can learn about your business and understand more about the role.

Then we’ll list your vacancy:

  • in our offices
  • on our website.

Once your vacancy is listed, we can:

  • Search for suitable candidates who:
    • would be a good fit for your business
    • could be trained to do the job
  • shortlist candidates and refer the best ones to you
  • arrange times for you to interview the candidates
    • we may also be able to provide a space for you to hold any interviews, if you need it
  • connect you with information and services if you need advice:

    • before making an employment offer, eg how you can complete reference checks
    • once you make a decision on who you want to hire.

If there’s a candidate that doesn’t quite have the required skill level for the job, we may be able to help with things like:

  • training
  • ongoing support and advice
  • modifications or equipment if they’re disabled.

Extra support and training for candidates

Step 3 – Skills Match Report

If you can’t find a suitable New Zealand candidate, we’ll close your vacancy and contact you to let you know. You need to ask us for a Skills Match Report to support a work visa application.

If you decide at a later time that you want a Skills Match Report, you can call us on 0800 778 008 but you need to do this within 5 days of your vacancy being closed.

A Skills Match Report outlines:

  • how many candidates:
    • we found that:
      • are suitable for your vacancy
      • could be trained for your vacancy
    • you interviewed for the vacancy
    • you hired (if there was more than one position available)
  • what the job was, including the:
    • location
    • pay rate
    • skills required
    • job description
  • the reasons for not hiring candidates.

We’ll send this report to you and Immigration New Zealand within 2 working days.

Find out more here.


[su_spoiler title=”Can I use my driver’s licence to drive in New Zealand?” open=”no” style=”default” icon=”plus” anchor=”” class=””] We can translate a driver’s license only as an identification document for immigration. If you need translation for the NZTA / AA transport agency to drive in NZ or to convert your driver’s license, you need to do the translation with one of the agencies on this link https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licences/new- residents-and-visitors / approved-translators /[/su_spoiler]



Get in touch with us through one of these channels:


Shopping Cart
There are no products in the cart!
Continue Shopping
Open chat